Mobile Security Requires More than Mobile Device Security
Mobile device management is a good first step in protecting systems against threats, but fully protecting against mobile threats means looking beyond the mobile devices themselves.
Secure Mobile Device Entry Points
To make sure mobile devices access your network and systems safely, consider these options:
- Virtual private network. A VPN provides encrypted communication between the mobile device and your network and prevents eavesdropping.
- Secure web gateway. A secure web gateway applies corporate security policies to ensure that users access the internet safely. Using a secure web gateway allows policies to be applied to remote employees’ mobile devices as well.
- Cloud access security broker. Limit who has access to the cloud and what they can do with the applications and data that reside there with a CASB.
Secure Mobile Device Applications
To make sure users access applications safely from mobile devices, take these steps:
- Only authorize trusted applications. Ensure users only download mobile applications from secure, trusted app stores.
- Protect critical remote applications. Know which are the most important applications for remote workers and take steps to secure them. The most critical applications are probably not your custom business apps but general-purpose tools such as email. Make sure you have security that can identify threats against those systems.
Secure Mobile Device Data
Monitor the data being accessed by mobile devices and protect the data stored on mobile devices.
- Encrypt data. Mandate encryption for data stored on mobile devices
- Monitor data flows. Use data loss prevention software and CASBs to ensure that data is only used in an authorized manner.
- Use antivirus software. Make sure mobile files are safe through the use of antivirus software.
Secure Mobile Device Users
Make sure mobile device users are aware of their responsibilities when it comes to using mobile devices and accessing data remotely.
- Have a mobile device usage policy. Users should be required to read and acknowledge the business’ BYOD policy.
- Grant mobile access privileges cautiously. Don’t allow all users access to all systems remotely. Grant privileges based on roles and responsibilities.
Make sure you’ve covered all aspects of mobile device security with mobile support from Prescient Solutions. From provisioning devices to protecting your data, mobile services from Prescient Solutions cover the entire suite of mobile support needs. Chicago and Schaumburg-area businesses should contact Prescient Solutions to ensure their mobile devices and mobile users take mobile security seriously.